7/11/2006

The great adventures of Emm and Kate Reconvene

My childhood buddy came down to visit for a week. Kate and I grew up and frankly I think our parents were surprised to see us both graduate high school alive. It always seems like when we were together trouble was only a few steps behind. From ditching cars on icy rural roads, to canoeing flood stage rivers, to a pack of rabid wolves and an outhouse, life was always eventful when we hung out.

But now we are mature adults…..unfortunately bad luck still seems to follow close behind us.

Kate flew in Thursday morning and I picked her up at the airport. We had big plans for the night. We started off at 6:30 pm and headed for a stampin up party to appease a good friend who has been attempting to drag me into stamping for some time. I will admit we had a good time and made some way cute cards.

Then we headed to pick up 80 pounds of tomatoes I had purchased. 40/lbs boxes were only $6.00 so I decided to buy two and attempt to freeze of can them ( something I have never attempted). I went to pick up the box and the bottom row of tomatoes were rotten and I found myself covered in rotten tomato juice. We thought about going home to change prior to heading out for the night, but then again I have no one to impress so we headed to rock the dock for some live music on the bay.

When we pulled into the parking lot we realized that our back tire was completely flat. Not a big deal, a couple of Iowa girls know how to change a tire. We did not have a flashlight and the custom jack had to be fitted perfectly. Because it was dark, we had the jack a few inched out and it slipped. Luckily we had three police officers come and hold a flashlight for us while we laid in the greasy parking lot changing a tire. I don’t think they could of changed it if they tired. They probably too one look at Kate’s biceps as she muscled off the lug nuts and thought “I don’t want to make and idiot of my self in front of these women, so I’ll just stand here like a stud and hold a flashlight.” They were a great help, glad someone was not holding a gun to my head.

So finally we got the donut tire on and caught the last 30 minutes of the band. We sat in the front row eat ice cream smelling like rotten tomatoes and covered in rubber and grease.
The car spent the next two days in the shop, one for new tires (which we were planning on anyway) and one for a $300.00 repair from the jack slip (which we were not planning on, but in reality something had to go wrong that night, or it just would not of been an adventure).

No comments: