12/07/2009

Worst. Week. Ever.

Okay probably not ever, no one died but it was what I would consider a sucktastic seven days. After a wonderful week I was walking home from the mail box thumbing through the letters to see what looked like a red-light ticket. Mentally paging back through the week I thought to myself I have not ran any red lights. Unlike all natural born Houstonians I make it a point not to blow through on red. Sure enough there was a $75.00 fine and citation waiting for me. Still confused how I got it, I watched the video online and it all came back to me. I didn’t exactly run a red light…. I didn’t stop behind the white line when making a right-hand turn. Erin had an asthma attack that day and I found myself without her inhaler and was racing time to get home. So a Renshaw confession that little right hand turn was the least of my traffic violations that day trying to get home. To say the least I was miffed, more at myself than anything. So I wrote a letter to the mayor to make me feel better. All I can say is Merry freaken Christmas to me….so much for new running shoes I have been saving up for.

Wednesday we spent most of the day at the ENT with Eliza and by the time we left I started feeling achy and chilled. I came home and took a nap, turning my household over to a five-year old. By that night I was feeling really cruddy so I made the mistake of taking some heavy duty cold medicine. I slept great; Jared woke me up about 6:45 to help get Erin ready for school. I was making Erin’s lunch when I thought to myself I really don’t feel good. Next thing I knew I woke up on our tile kitchen floor clutching a piece of bread watching the ceiling spin. I must have lost consciousness somewhere between the ham and mayo and slammed my nose on our granite counter on the way down. Over the course of our marriage it has happened enough that Jared just drags me back to bed. Jared stayed home and I slept most of the day and had to spend the rest of the week explaining to people the black and blue nose and black eye.

By Friday night I was feeling a little better. Friday we had snow flurries and the City of Houston completely shut down. Toys R US had a sale until midnight. At 11 pm I figured all the crazies who don’t know how to drive on ice were in bed so I headed out. I got my load at the toy store and headed home. On Bay area I hit something big because my tire went flat to the rim so I pulled into the vacant Office Depot parking lot. We have free roadside assistance so I called and they said they would be out in 45 minutes…great. Nothing like being a single woman in a deserted parking lot at midnight….and then my car died…great now I am a solo woman with a flat tire and a dead battery in 20 degree weather…..and then my phone died….are you freaking kidding me? Is like some kind of bad horror flick? Now it was past midnight so NOTHING was open. So I sat there clutching my mace waiting for the first mass-murder to come along. Really it was more like a couple of stray dogs and someone making a weird midnight delivery to Party City in an unmarked truck.

So the tow guy finally came, plumber crack and all and changed my tire AND jump started my van. And to complete the night my spare was also flat. So I finally made it home around 1 am, glad to be home safe. And went to bed thinking it was all over….Jared came home from the tire shop the next morning with a new $125 tire and just said “I hope your trip was worth it.” It kind of belittled the $40.00 I saved the night before.
Spent most of Saturday and Sunday still not feeling well. So I was happy to see a new week, hopefully this one is a lot less expensive.

2 comments:

Jenny said...

Wow. That was pretty sucktastic. ANNNNNDDD it rained Monday night so we couldn't go see the lights. Not cool.

Scott and Analisa said...

Man, I am sorry. Although, I must admit that you articulate well the suctastickness of your week. So sorry, better days to you and yours. Merry Christmas.