10/10/2010

Sally Forth II

I got my replacement kayak in last week. Don't ask how they considered the major gash in the middle of the underside of my boat a "seam split" but I was completely honest and upfront about running over a possible sawed off pipe in the midst of an electrical storm being blown across Clear Lake. So needless to say I was very happy with Sevylor customer service.

Last Saturday Cami and I took it out for her first voyage, starting in Nassau Bay and paddling up through the lower part of Mud Lake, a total of six miles round trip. The morning was absolutely beautiful as we were able to port in early enough to catch sunrise.
I have felt like the past three years or so I haven't had a true hobby that I actually love (who has time AND money with three kids)?? But this may just be it. I find the solitude on the backwaters a welcomed break from suburbia and the daily grind.

Cami and I talked a lot of identity that day, and while I feel like I have a solid identity I am comfortable with (I'm a Midwest Mormon farm girl, what else is there to say?) I seem to struggle this fall with finding my place in the "school community". All at once this country girl from humble but loving circumstances has found herself in the midst of middle class suburbia, rubbing shoulders with moms who eat, sleep and breathe PTA and their little worlds revolve volunteering, their one to two children and what happened on the latest reality show.

And while I ride my bike in a t-shirt and b-ball shorts to pick up Erin, the mother next to me walks up in black heels and a skirt that is way to short for any mid-thirties mama to be wearing. A lot of it just seems plain shallow, but then maybe I am just on my high horse. I feel like the whole situation is plain weird but I just have to deal with them during morning and afternoon pick up.

And so far this is the only gator we have ran into. Hopefully it stays painted on the sign :) I took this photo just for Big E :)

Cami and I were talking about porting out of Armand Bayou next week...eek!

2 comments:

One Artist a Day said...

I had a friend in college who owned 6 items of clothing. She was a total hippie. She moved to LA and just had her third kid. When I last saw her (pregnant with her 2nd) she was struggling with the same issues. The only friends she really had were into sun tanning and spending money. Her latest photos show somewhat of a conversion. I can see she is trying not to let go of who she is, but also making a compromise to be part of a community. Sometimes it is hard to stay true to yourself when their is no one around you in the community who boosts, shares, or supports those identities. It's a mad world.

Jessica said...

if this is your hobby, the boundary waters are for you! plan a trip up...i would LOVE to go again. :) you won't be disappointed.

ditto on the school thing...it happens everywhere.