9/28/2011

Mother of the Year Award

So the blog has been a bit boring lately, here is a story for you. I FORGOT MY CHILD. I only have three, its not like it should be hard to keep track of them, but for some people like myself, it is.

Cedar Rapids has early dismissal every-other Wednesday for teacher in-service. Personally I think it's a little excessive but whatever. Today was one of those early out days. I was running left and right and at 1:30 my phone pinged with an email that I had a message on my home phone. It was a mother that I have met ONCE and the message said this.

“Emmaly, um Erin seems to think you forgot to pick her up, she is at my house, but we have to leave so I guess I'll swing by your house and if your not home we'll figure something out”.

I throw the other two in the car (we wouldn't want to lose another one) and race home, no one is there, I go to the woman's house, no one is home and she called from her home phone. So I head to the school thinking that she may have dropped her back there.

And that is where I earned the Mother-of-the-Year award. I walked in the office and said

“I forgot to pick up my child today (school has now been out 40 minutes). A mother in her class picked her up and I was wondering if you have her cell number on file.”

The secretary say “Sure, what is her name?”

I say “Umm, I think Molly. And Molly has a child in first grade (now looking sheepish)”.

She stares blankly at me for a second, then smiles and says we'll start with “Molly X”.

Sure why the heck not, so I called the cell number she gave me and asked the woman on the other end if she by chance had an extra child with her. Wheph she did and she even enrolled her in an afternoon cooking class with her daughter!

After almost and hour I could breathe. Seriously only in Iowa will a woman pick up your child after only meeting you once and take her in as one of her own. And the crazy thing was no one cared! The mother saw it as a favor, the secretary saw it as a parent helping out an idiot, Erin saw it as an extra play date and the day went on. In Texas this would have snowballed into a huge issue but Iowa kind of has this village raising mentality.

So my new goal for the week is not to forget anyone.

2 comments:

ashley said...

Haha, nice. Don't worry, once my mom left Brittany at home while the rest of us left for church. I asked where she was and we had to go back and get her. I think we'd gone pretty far and she was only 4. Once Trevor or Devin got left at Target too. Classic Linda!

Stacie said...

Brent left Clint in a van we were going to test drive. I came out of the bathroom and asked where Clint was . . . he got this look of horror and headed back to the van. Luckily it was only a matter of minutes and only in Elkader!