2/17/2012

The $60 update

  Most of the house we are keeping with a natural/nature color palette (frankly I don't want to have to repaint if we ever put the house on the market).  But you have to have a little fun with the kids areas right (according to J, no.  But when J is on travel, E get to do whatever she wants to :D
Jared is a drywall master, he did a great job!


Original - baby blue toilet seat included


I was at Menards in January and found a gray and orange/red  I really liked on the mismatch shelf for $5.00/gallon.  The orange matched the shower curtain perfectly.  When I got it up on the wall, it was almost HD orange!  The brass towel bars were shot, luckily Menards also had nice chrome towel bars clearance for $4.00 and the mirror was on sale for $15.00. 


Which left the light.  I'm not a fan of the "row" light, plus I wanted that "row" light to put in our Master Bath to replace the hideous monster of a fixture (12 bulbs)  we now have.  The bathroom was a small budget project and new fixtures start at about $60.00.  Which bring me to my new hangout and love - The Restore.  If you haven't been there its a goodwill for home improvement projects.    This fixture was $5.00 (hideous and brass) and then all their glass shades are $1.00 each.  Its kind of a mix and match.  Anyway $5.00  in spray paint and my new $15.00 light was on the wall, I was happy with the final product.  It had a fun modern shop feel to it and was looking kind of girly for Ike.  My bro collect hub caps so he gave me a few old ones to hang on the wall.

One man's junk

A little paint and its wall ready
Anyway minus the cost of caulk and drywall supplies, this is our $60 bathroom update.  I love it, J hates it, the kids are thrilled and its one more project we can cross off the list.  Now we have three out of four bathrooms in working order (which is more than any family needs).

1 comment:

Devon Noel Lee said...

Outstanding job! We didn't check out the restore for our home remodel. That might have helped a bit. Nice to see that you're so talented and can make dramatic changes with a little imagination. Sorry that your husband doesn't like it so much. Reminds me of Brother Harvey from church. His idea of a great room is stark white. His sweet wife wanted at least some color. So one room in their home was painted terra cotta. It was vastly different from the rest of the house (which had very neutral colors like cream and pale yellow, except for one bathroom that was literally hospital white). You could tell Brother Harvey didn't like the color so much but wanted to keep his wife happy and Sister Harvey was glad he relented on one room.