7/23/2006

I’m a survivor….

I returned from YW Camp last night bruised, stiff, but happy. We had a great time. Dianne and I were unit leaders over eight energetic teenage girls. We were stationed at a Boy Scout camp in Louisiana. It was four days of primitive camping, although a central mess hall provided all our meals.

The weather was beautiful considering its mid-July. We had between 65-98 degree temperatures with 70-80% humidity everyday. Each day we had certification in first aid, nature, severe weather, orienteering, etc. I taught one nature course and it made me realize how much I miss working with kids and the environment.

Dianne and I at the special program
The great thing was there was a lot of down time and a wide variety of activities. Dianne and I hung out at the C.O.P.E.S. course – a high ropes course. The first day I did the climbing wall and zip line in crocs (bad idea). The second day we did the friendship ladder. It’s a cable and wood latter with the rungs appx 5 feet apart and the height of the rungs extended in the middle.
The latter was not connected at the base so it’s continually swinging as you and your partner are attempting to climb up. When we reached the top we walked across a cable and the repelled down. I was okay until I got to the little 15” platform you jump off – I’m not sure if I made the mistake of looking down or realizing I was a looking at the top of a long-needled southern pine, which I know grow upwards of 100’. I was not nearly that high, but the thought made me shutter. However, I took the plunge off the platform before my logical side kicked and the “stupid idea” button in my brain started flashing.

Charlissa & I teaming up on the "friendship ladder"

My dentist and I discussing if he let me fall how much reconstructive dental work would I get for free.

Swinging on the high wire



Dianne and Cherise getting ready to climb & Em attempting to climb in crocs....

The rest of the week Dianne and I decided to keep our feet on the ground and became shooting sharks at the gun and archery ranges. We had great girls that did not complain about the heat and were excited to participate. They cracked me up all week. They are all in that trial and error stage of life. Its almost as if their brains work on schedules set by child labor laws – 20 hours a weeks maximum. I watched as one of our book smart brainiacs attempted to hurdle a cable fence at the archery range with a hand full of sharp arrows only to catch her knee on the top cable and nearly impale herself. I watched as they chased water moccasins and became pyros around the campfire. It took a legion of angels this week to bring everyone home with all limbs intact and in good health.

It was fun, but like everyone else after four days without air-conditioning and a good shower I was ready for the comfort of home.


So in closing all I can say is “wait on” sister……”wait on”

No comments: