5/19/2008

The shoes that were never meant to be....

I'm not a big shoe person. If fact I am probably the only women whose husband has more shoes than she does. I have:

  • Three pairs of running shoes (all Saucony, two pairs which are retired and one in active duty)
  • pair of black - low heal strapy dress shoes
  • Brown - casual dress shoes
  • pair of workboots
  • and my beloved black Z2 chacos, which I paid and arm and a leg for five years ago, but they have lasted me through two pregnancies and I wear them at least five days a week.
Last Saturday Erin and I went shopping for a dress for my cousins upcoming wedding and there they were, these beautiful Maryjane ecco clogs. Shoes are purely an asset of functionality to me. They need to fit right and wear long, but these bad boys made my heart patter. And best of all they were at a discount store, so instead of the online price tag of $120, they were $25.00.

And yet, I thought to myself I really don't need green shoes, so I walked out. When we got home Erin told Jared, "Mom really wants green shoes for mothers day, you better buy them for her." And sure enough, he took the advise of his daughter and I got these stunning babies for mother's day.

The European sizing is a bit funky and after wearing them around the house I decided that I probably needed the next size up. I saw that they had them, so I thought I would go in first thing Monday and exchange them. Monday morning came and I was running a fever of 104 and coming down with strep. Tuesday came and I was still dead to the world, Wednesday passed and I was finally up but not out of the house. And finally Thursday I felt well enough to venture out. I walked in scanning the mutteled shelves of womens shoes. I paced back and forth looking for that deep suede green as Erin tromped around in a pair of silver and hot pink spike heals (the girls walks better in them than I do). They had a few pairs left that would only fit someone named Helga who wore size 11. So I returned the shoes I had fallen for and walked out....sporting my black chacos once again.

3 comments:

Jessica said...

Helga, here---

Why don't you go back and pick up that size 11 for me?

Thanks!

Kari said...

Oh, that's a sad story. I would have made Jared go back and get them for me. You're too nice!

One Artist a Day said...

Wow, did you read my blog before you read this or did we just do the exact same blog 2 days apart from each other?