5/30/2008

Dip, Dip & Swing



I really wanted to go canoing this week while I was back. This is not what I had in mind. The Maquoketa river has rolled over its banks for the third time today in five weeks in Manchester Iowa. The river is roaring at 20ft - 6 feet above flood stage. Here is some photos I took this morning when sandbagging my parents shop and the surrounding businesses. Their main shop is fairly high so no damage for us, but lots of muck to scrape out of the storage buildings.

Monday a tornado also hit the small town of just a few miles from where my parents live. Needless to say Iowa's weather might just suck more than Texas. At least today we were blessed with sun :)

5 comments:

One Artist a Day said...

Can I use some of your photos in the paper this week.

Carina Olsen said...

Wow, We are so glad you are ok. The news was starting to scar us. Our prayer will be with the Iowans!

Scott and Analisa said...

Ahhh, man I miss the midwest

Brenna said...

That's amazing. I just talked to my sister and she says it's the worst flooding she has ever seen there. Yikes!

Anonymous said...

Every time we hear the Maquoketa River is flooding, we say a prayer of protection for your mom and dad's shop. So glad they are on higher ground now.