6/06/2010

Stop 2: The Point


My Hills

Erin hiked the deep crevasse of Devil's Backbone today for the first time, a rite of passage in NE Iowa. I remember being Erin’s age and my dad helping me over the giant boulders lodged between the two towering walls of moss-covered limestone and the steep passage from the top of the bluffs to the flats.

This was my playground growing up. I’ve hiked this narrow trail scores of time. For me the breathtaking views from the top of the lofty limestone bluff still bring a feeling of solidity and peace. It seems like each time I visit the park is more deserted as people find less time to enjoy the outdoors. I often wonder what becomes of a society who loses touch with nature. What inspires when we no longer study and reflect on the awe and wonderment of the Creation?

After hiking we grilled in the down pour in one of the old CCC built limestone pavilions. Erin and Eliza spent the two days playing in streams, running through soft grass, exploring Amish country, visiting with family and exploring Lock and Dam #10 on the Mississippi. And Isaac started standing on his own for several seconds.

No comments: