8/26/2010

First Day of Kindergarten



Where does the time go? It seems like yesterday we finally got to bring this beautiful fragile baby home after a lengthy stay at the hospital, having no comprehension of the joy she would bring into our young marriage. And this week she walked through those entry doors into Bauerslaug Elementary to start the next chapter in her life.

Erin does not deal with change well (I have been trying for months to get her into new tennis shoes) and so naturally she was apprehensive about starting a new school. However she has a wonderful teacher and her first week has been good. In fact her first night home I asked her what her teacher was like and she said “She seems very competent”.

Its funny, her elementary school has more students than my JK-12th grade complex did growing up. They typically have 80-100 kindergarteners but the last minute they had over 140 register so they were scrambling to find teachers and staff.

With budget cuts they did away with bus service this year. I guess we know no different, but what I do know is the car drop off line can be up to an hour wait – one way! So we bike it. Ike and Eliza ride in the trailer and Erin rides her scooter. The only bad thing is right now its hot! A few of the days the heat index was still over 100. The school is only about ½ mile; round trip it’s about 15 minutes. We have to cross a 4 –lane divided highway. It’s at a stop sign, no cross walk, so the traffic makes me really nervous because everyone is in the morning rush mode. Erin waves like a crazy woman to make sure the cars see her and typically they wave back to signal its okay to cross. It’s hilarious; she is my safety conscious one!

As for me having three at home the past year I didn’t think I would have a problem, but the first day was rough, the house felt a little emptier and Eliza was lost without her sister. And Isaac didn’t have his protector by his side; he probably had the roughest week.

And she is off!



1 comment:

Ariana said...

Addison has to the same issues with change. I was VERY worried how the kindergarten thing would go. She is on day 4 and seems to be okay. Glad to see she isnt alone.