1/30/2011

Houston's Farmers Market Bike Tour


Bayou City Outdoors cycling tour
Britt and I checking out the produce (yes I wore that out in public, it was cold!)
Last Saturday Britt and I braved the cold (36 degrees) to join a local outdoors club on a 20- mile bicycle ride tour of a few of the cities farmers markets. Jared was sweet to take the kids so I could partisipate in what I think they call...a hobby.

The day started off chilly in the Heights (which I have never visited but is a kickin' side of the city). Our first stop, which was by far my favorite was called Canino's Produce Market. It was this huge open air, three part market. The best was the back room where you could barter and name your price. Their prices were fantastic. I got a pineapple for $1.00, red peppers were .50 each. They had lots of exotic fruits and beans from central America, it was my dream market! Unfortunately (or fortunately for Jared) we were on bike so I couldn't buy out the place :)

Then we rode to downtown Houston on part of the cities bike trails and visited two other smaller markets. Both were pretty yuppie, fun to visit but most things were out of my budget.

The morning was really enjoyable, minus my back tire falling off, but that is a story for another day). The group we road with included everyone from avid bikers to old lady on their cruisers with the big basket on the front. Everyone was very chatty and welcoming. If I lived closer and had time for a hobby I would think about joining the club.

No comments: