3/20/2011

Project # 19 - Stick it to Schwinn; Project #15- Sold

My kids were messing around on my double jogging strolled and tipped it over, breaking a hinge on the handle bar. Since it was under two years old I figured I would call Schwinn, pay $20, they could send me the replacement part, drill out the rivets and wa-lah!
However I was kindly informed that they do not make "individual" components and I would have to spend $130 on a whole new frame. WHATTTT!! So miffed I went to the local bike shop and he was sure he could call as a supplier and get me one, his luck was not any better.

So there was no way I was spending that kind of cash on a stroller I paid $80 on ebay.
Because of the stress load of pushing 50-70 pounds it could not be epoxied. Thanks to a great home teacher with a drill press, I spent a whopping $5.60 at Ace Hardware to create the bionic stroller. Works great! Then my neighbors had a garage sale and I was in my minimalist mode and I sold it....but the project was completed!

And Project 15, the headboard, also went to the garage sale. We are looking at getting a new bed in the next year (hopefully a king) so I didn't think it was worth spending time on a queen headboard.

No comments: