2/01/2008

What I do in my free time....

I found out quickly that with two monkeys I can't get anything done. By the time December rolled around I had several unfinished projects. So I am finally finishing up a few here and there.
This is our downstairs half bath and after a year I couldn't take the bachelor paper in it any more. So I picked up a gallon of paint and thought two day job - one day to strip the paper and one to paint....so I thought...
They papered first and then put on the waynes coating and molding, the paper was partially tacked on with wood glue and it took me almost a whole weekend to strip. When I got it stripped I found out why there was wall paper it the first place, the walls had not been fully textured. So I spent another weekend texturing and priming. Then it took me a quick Saturday morning to paint.

I want to make it out signature bathroom, where people can sign the walls. So when I get a free moment I'll stencil signature wall on one wall in gold, but I have to finish a bunch of other projects first. Right now I am just happy its painted.


And this was a nightmere. A few years ago we were lacking a dresser and so in the dark of the night Jared and Em (Em had to bribe Jared as he has more self respect than Emmaly when it comes to climbing in dark dumpsters in alleys). And pulled this beauty out. Not really much to look at, but it was free and we needed a dresser. I had dreams of redoing it and finally pulled it out into the garage. It took me months to strip, first the brown lacker that was brushed over white primer (figure that). Then the original finish cream with 1960's bright orange flowers. I was so excited...until the stain didn't take. After several weekends of attempting to even out the stain I threw on a coat of varnish and threw it back in our room. It looks better but we'll be keep our eye out for a new one :)



4 comments:

Jessica said...

Free time? You have free time? Can you send some my way? :) Love the idea of a signature bathroom...we are thinking of making one of our walls into the same type of thing...but what happens when/if you move? We are thinking of putting a piece of wood on the wall and have people sign that...we'll see.

Emily W said...

You are amazing Emmaly, and I would like to add that you are the Young Women's president. You should come to my house and we can refinish some of my furniture :)

Emm said...

Em, I would love to help you refinish :)If Jared ever gets shipped off to Russia for three months I'll be there !

Ariana said...

I miss the satisfaction that accompanies refinishing furniture. I still have that old desk we did in the house on Grand!