6/29/2008

What to do with 30 pounds of tomatoes....

I had the chance to order 30 pounds of tomatoes from a local farmer for around $12.00. I jumped on it because I needed to beef up my pitiful looking food storage. I got the box in and froze 9 qts and still had a ton left. I had never canned before so I borrowed a neighbors pressure canner (thank goodness for google, I did it without blowing up my kitchen) and canned 9 qts of salsa. It turned out awesome and now we have salsa for the summer.

When I was getting things around to start canning, my house was unusually silent. I looked around the corner and Erin and Eliza had taken the top off of the tomato box and each were devouring a tomato. Eliza ate a whole one herself. By the time she was done, she had tomato juice from her hair to her feet.

2 comments:

scottie said...

there is nothing like a home-grown tomato! i hope yours were like the ones i remember from my garden as a kid. i have never bought anything even close to that in a store anywhere.

...and i can't believe that someone under the age of 50 has canned something, anywhere in the world. you're hilarious! although, i see your point. that is a lot of food to deal with.

ashley said...

haha classic!