10/27/2008

Off to the "farm"

Its official, I have crossed the threshold, no longer a farm woman, but a suburbanite. I drove and hour and paid $11.00 a person a few weeks ago to go to a farm. Yes, my dad is sitting there shaking his head, praying for my lost soul.

First let me say we went with a big group of friends and it was a fun days just hanging out and we appreciated the invite. The good company was well worth the cost!

Melissa (another Iowan) and I loaded up the girls and headed across the city. We thought the price was a little steep but have heard great reviews from neighbors and coworkers about the place. During the summer my Dad and I took Erin to a new farm museum in Independence, Iowa. She really enjoyed the hands on stuff so I thought this would be great. We use to go to alot of farm things, I use to love seeing all the old thrashers, bailers and old farm machinery they would have up and running. There was none of that....

There was not much hands on, the corn maze was a whopping 6 feet tall (although Melissa and I still managed to get lost) and the zoo was not too bad. I about busted a gut when the man standing next to me that picked up his son and said "Boy, there is a good looking steer" and Erin yelled out "boy cows don't have teets!"

Eliza found a slow chicken that she chased around most of the afternoon.
They did have these awesome hand made wagons that were really handy. Erin pulled about Maya and Eliza all day, she loved them! And when Eliza was not chasing the chicken she was bound a determined to pick up a pumpkin.It was worth the trip for the smell of sawdust in the barn and even the pitiful corn display. But when we got in the car, we simply decided we are in the wrong business. When we left the lines were twice as long, the parking lot filled. We figured they made enough money in the 8 weekends they were open to the public in the fall to float their "real farm" financially for the year.

No comments: