4/23/2006

H.O.G.S. DAY

The Group (for some reason I seem to have more paint on me than any one else hmmm....)

Saturday I participated in H.O.G.S. Day (Hooked on Giving Service). We do an annual event with the youth where we team up with a non-profit in Houston to paint and repair homes of elderly people. The non-pro-fit provides the boards, paint and other supplies and we supply youthful labor. We left at 7am and headed into the loop and into a neighborhood that many youth only see when we do this project. A group of white suburban kids looked out of place in the midst of this small inner-city community. Although I think it’s a great experience for them. The neighbor hood we worked in is by far not in the worst part of the city, but these people live in humble homes with simple amenities.

A city girl's introduction to a caulk gun

We worked on a little shotgun house on blocks (welcome to Houston –everything floods) that was white with black trim. Our group had about twenty youth. We started with pulling off siding that was rotting or suffered termite damage. Then we scrapped, painted and did the final trim.

Fearless Leaders

About halfway through the project I was beginning to wonder if the house was going to look worse than when we started (lets face it teenager attempting to paint black trim on a white house is not exactly an ingenious idea). After seven hours the project was complete (and miraculously looked good), we were exhausted and elderly lady that lived there was so sweet and happy with the outcome.
Kayla hard at work

2 comments:

Tracy Anne said...

You've inspired me! I volunteered to help with Habitat for Humanity for a day this summer. I hope they let me use the nail gun... tee hee hee!

Kari said...

I think the activities your church does are really awesome, and I think it's great that the country girl from Iowa has made herself into a true role model for all those misguided city kids. Bravo!