3/24/2008

Suburbanites!


I am a soccer mom. One phrase I never thought would cross my lips, let alone admit. I think that is the last step to becoming an official suburbanite, although I don't drive I humongo SUV yet (nor will I ever).

I found myself staring staring blankly at the soccer section in Academy sports last week. I have never picked up a soccer ball in my life, if fact I had to google to even figure out if the socks went over or under the shinguards (for reference it is over). So Erin got her first pair of cleats, snazzy shinguards and socks that extend mid-thigh on her.

Their first practice was Friday night. We enrolled her in a city league on a 3-5 year old co-ed league. I was really apprehensive because I have heard several stories about parents getting arrested at games for disorderedly conduct, coaches coaching a tike team like a highschool team, etc. We just wanted Erin to have some fun. But to my relief, the first practice went smooth (as smooth as a group of 13 tikes get :) Her coach is a local Methodist minster and seems really laid back and the parents we met seemed relaxed.

Erin was the one on the field watching the butterflies as people ran around her. It was hilarious to watch them play. Everyone wanted to be goally because there was a big dirt patch right in front of the goal and they all like playing in the dust patch. The whole practice was mayhem, at the end the coach called two asst. coaches just for help with crowd control. Practice is once a week and her games are on Saturdays.

4 comments:

Tracy Anne said...

we went to a few of our nephews t-ball games last summer. one kid ran to second, sat on the bag and started playing the dirt. the next runner made it all the way to second and had to tap him on top of the head before he realized he was supposed to run to third. it was hilarious! kids sports should be on tv.

Jessica said...

Ha! Good for you, soccer mom.

Abbie said...

Oh, that is just the beginning (coming from the girl who swore she would never live outside of Iowa and now wants to live closer to the city)!

And I'd like to point out - you may not drive an SUV, but if I recall you are part of the minivan crowd!!!

azufelt said...

Oh gosh, I dread the days of sports... I already own an SUV, so I'm well on my way to "soccer-mom-hood"!!!