12/11/2008

Winter Wonderland

Yesterday morning…..

I woke up today to a chilly 34 degrees and a stiff rain beating on the windows. This is unusually cold for this time of year (it was 75 a few days ago, the dramatic temperature makes me feel like I am back in Iowa).

We are staying her this year, a feeling which is bittersweet. We are excited to start our own family traditions, but as the day draws near I long for the big family gatherings in warm homes as the bitter wind howls and a layer of pure, seamless snow blanket the earth.

Last night:

Some wishes are fulfilled. I went to mutual tonight and we were planning on a hayride caroling excursion through town. When we arrived at 7pm it was about 35 degrees and sleeting and we were debating about going (30’s is really cold for the kids down here). The youth were arguing if it was sleeting or hailing (they really have not see either to know the difference) when a little girl came in and said “its snowing!”. We went outside and flurries were in the air. We jumped on the wagon and headed through some neighborhoods. It was great caroling because the snow was actually accumulating and dozens of people were out in their yards playing in it.

On the way home I watched the roofs turn white, then the lawns and finally the side streets. I was a bit nervous about driving, Houstonians have no idea how to drive on icy roads and they were a bit slick. They have no snow equipment down here, no salt or sand trucks, so even a little snow can make it treacherous.

I got home about 9:30 and we bundled Erin up and went out in the front yard and made a 5ft snowman (it took almost all the snow in our front yard), made a snow angel and played for a while.

. It snows like this maybe once every 10-20 years. Just a few counties received snow. It was just a freak collision of a wet and cold front off the coast. But it was a welcomed introduction to the Christmas Season for all!

Caroling


Erin's Snowman
Neighbors palm tree

Getting gas :D



5 comments:

Arid-zona Mom said...

That' great!!! I'm so sad I missed the snow. It looks like a fun time!

Tracy Anne said...

LOL. You Houstonians are excited about snow and some Iowans are sick of it already. :-)Not me, I love it! Gotta have a white Christmas.

Jenny said...

Our snowman was considerably less impressive. but seriously, wasn't it wonderful?

Jessica said...

Wow! That snow looks rather familiar...for MINNESOTA!!! Not TEXAS! :) Glad we could send a bit of winter weather your way...

Dawn Rae said...

Hi Emmaly, I am Dawn, Jared's cousin from Utah and now Oregon. I ran across your blog via facebook. Very cute, I had never seen your kids. Your oldest daughter reminds me a lot of Ashley when she was younger. If you would like an invite to my blog, please send me an email at dawnreneau@yahoo.com. Glad to see you guys online :)