5/12/2010

First Fruits



One of my favorite aromas in the world is tomato plants. I am not even sure how to explain it, its pungent and organic and not a smell any candle company would make. And if I close my eyes for a moment I am immediately transported back to playing in the dirt in my grandma’s massive garden, watching her meticulously pick the perfectly ripped fruit. The only thing better is the smell of tomato plants after a summer thunderstorm. Ah, back to my heavy pollution warning day in H-town.

One of the hardest things about living in the burbs is lack of garden space (and good soil, and mild temp and well, the list goes on). But after gardening here for four years I am getting the knack of it. Last year and this year I went 100% organic and I am impressed by the results.

This year I planted one bean plant (which did remarkably well so it’s on the list for next year) and I went all out with pepper and tomato plants. I’ve found in the past that big tomatoes tend to crack and split (probably because I am too lazy to go out and water them every night when its 100 degrees) and are more prone to disease. Romas, grape and cherry tomatoes produce fantastically and I found this little yellow tomato that is great!

We had a cold spring so I finally got around to planting (I buy 2” nursery stock on Houston Garden Center, can’t beat six plants for $1.50) in early March. Eliza and Erin are really good about watering and checking up on them. Today was our first harvest. It was four small tomatoes and a few greenbeans but that means in the coming weeks they will be loaded. Yuppie, now if it would just rain one of these days, I’m going to have to take out a second mortgage for my water bill (which I know completely defeats part of the purpose).

1 comment:

Jenny said...

Ahhh, grape or cherry tomatoes instead of the big ones. We'll definitely ahve to try that instead next year.