2/04/2006

Mud Monster Invades San Jacinto Golf Course

Mud monster invades San Jacinto Golf Course.

Friday was a spectacular day, blue skies and mid seventies. Jared had to work a late simulation in mission control Tuesday night, which gave him Friday off. You all know my position on golfing - it’s an environmental hazard built for people who lack creativity and have too much disposable income. He has wanted to take me golfing for some time and that dream finally materialized Friday. We went to San Jack College (all you can play golf for $10.00). I took out my handy-dandy left-handed golf clubs, which I purchased for $1 from a Chinese couple that lived in married housing while at Iowa State. I think they are from about 1940 and may be artillery remnants from one of the World Wars, but they passed as clubs.

So we were warming up on the first hole and these two old guys asked if they could play with us. To my dismay, I said yes. I was hoping that I would only make an idiot out of myself in front of Jared, not some old men who having been playing golf for 50 years…..so much for the boys club.

After three holes consisting of lots of whiffs, 20 yard drives, and ball donations to the fishponds; I was finally getting the feel of it and rather enjoying myself (although I could tell one of the old guys was disgusted by my not-so-superb athletic performance).

And then I saw the flaw ( which explains why the course is only $10.00)……the course was built upon a bayou, a swamp, a wetland….whatever your preference is. All I know is for the next three holes my ball was constantly attracted to small lakes of water in midst of the fairways and rough. The muddy water coupled with my stellar stroke made me look like a mud monster from a 1950’s horror movie. By the time I hit hole seven my kakis and light yellow shirt were covered in mud splatter and grass chunks.

The wind picked up to 20-30 mph gusts and all the Texans thought it was cold and the course cleared out quickly. Or maybe it was the site of the mud monster approaching for a second round, who knows. Either way, we got dirty and I can honestly say I had a decent time golfing.

Other happening during the week…

Some crazy man hijacked his girlfriend and her four year old daughter and held them at gun point during a high-speed chase though the city. While stuck in rush hour traffic he started shooting at the cars around him to attempt to get traffic moving. In the end the mother and daughter were all right, no one was hit by the shots and the police finally shot him after he unloaded the rest of his gun of them……I got to get out of the city.

1 comment:

Kari said...

I would love to have seen pictures of you covered in mud. Would have reminded me of our cross country days.