3/10/2009

Canon .....Define Paper Jam For Me

...When I looked at canon online it said the "E3" error code stands for "Paper Jam."

Reset Directions: While holding the power button, hit the start button three times to reset, unplug printer and error code will reset". You printer will work after code is reset.


I think they need a new error code for "Foreign Material Jam".

Reset Directions: While having a 18 month old helping you, remove ever screw possible, disconnect scanner wires and take apart every piece of you printer until you discover the hidden treasures lurking deep in the components placed by curious minds. Remove all foreign objects and attempt to reassemble having only a handful of screws left over. You printer will work after code is reset.


Last week my printer died, it had an eternal error that could not be reset. Even though it was a printer error, the scanner would not work until the error was cleared. For the last few weeks it was having feeding issues. We purchased it last year (of course the warranty ran out in November). I can live without a printer, but not a scanner and I am really OCD about buying canon products. I have been looking and after fixing the door and redoing the girls room our budget didn’t have an extra $150 for a new printer.


So while I was on hold this morning about our new door handle that broke (so another story). I was ticked anyway so I grabbed a flash light and saw a little piece of paper stuck down in the reels. I couldn’t get it out, figured the printer was shot anyway so I took off the exterior and interior casing. Twenty screws and ten component later I finally had access to the area I needed.


Much to my surprise, I found more than a jammed piece of paper, I found a few papers, part of a Kleenex, a color pencil, and my favorite a plastic strawberry. What the freak? Its like ohhh, there is a slot, let see what all fits down it. I have no idea how the strawberry got in there because it was so far in you couldn’t even see it. I had to go in and unscrew the feeder bar to dislodge it. And the amazing thing was it was completely unharmed. So that explains the printer dilemma.

Screwed it back together and much to my amazement it prints beautifully and scanner is up and working. I was only short one screw…. I have a feeling Eliza ate it…or dropped it back into the printer.

Tonight we will be having a dinner discussion on what is appropriate to put in the printer….PAPER!





4 comments:

Ariana said...

About a month ago we had a similar issue...the paper wouldn't feed - we found 2 crayons, a colored pencil, and a chapstick lid tucked down inside.

Carina Olsen said...

I'm sorry but that is hysterical!

Emily W said...

Emm you are the best, when do we get to be neighbors?

the Smiths said...

you are pretty amazing I think it is awesome that you fixed it yourself! I am in the process of getting hot glue gun glue out of my oven...gerald, not Aurora got it in there.