5/30/2009

Directional Funk

Jared had Friday off so he decided to tag along to my midwife appointment downtown and meet a few of them and get his crash course in how to deliver a baby if needed (for historical reference click here).

Everything looks great; minus one thing…this kid has got to figure out what direction is down. I am 35 ½ weeks and he is transverse breech (perpendicular to where he should be). Titi (the midwife I saw yesterday) was not overly concerned, she said he is a small baby and I still have plenty of fluid for him to turn. But he is cutting it a little short for comfort. If he does not turn by 37 weeks there is an O.B. in the office that has a successful external inversion rate. So for the next few weeks, if I get desperate enough, I may attempt the funky yoga positions, standing on my head in the water, and my favorite thought…. sticking a flashlight down my pants or putting a pack of frozen veggies up your ribs since babies tend to turn towards light and away from cold :) If that is the only little hiccup we can deal with that.

Jared got his crash course on how to deliver a baby if for some reason we are stuck in traffic on I-45. I think he was relativity relieved when her directions consisted of:

“The baby is going to come with or without you. Take lots of towels; turn on the car heater to keep it warm and WHATEVER YOU DO DON’T CUT ANYTHING!”

After the appointment we met up with Derek and Britt for lunch and then rented a pedal boat at Hermann Park. It was just a fun day out with the family.

2 comments:

Carina Olsen said...

Poor Jared. I'm sure he's praying that you can make it this time.

Do anything you can to NOT have to do the inversion. It sucks like nothing else I've ever had done to me. At least he's transverse and not completely head up like Ariana. Once they get a foot in the canal there's no turning back.

Good luck. I'm sure everything will work out just right.

Jared-Monica-Brooke-Caleb said...

Yeah!! It's coming so soon! He will be so much fun! I love my little man!